Saturday, May 10, 2014

arcticurbanophile.com

Well... this is awkward... Hello there, again. It's been a while... Life came at me fast in 2012 and continues to do so which explains why I've become a phantom in the time since then. Even before 2012 I had a couple of long-term unexplained disappearances which goes to show why a good blogger I do not make for. I started Anchorage Joop six years ago because I could not find any local source that dealt with issues regarding urban development. The Anchorage Daily News and the Alaska Journal of Commerce will sometimes run an article covering a construction project underway, but they never came from the angle of what the project meant in the long run, specifically, what it meant for the community in terms of design and urban integration. I wanted a source that provided commentary critiquing new developments and civic projects as well as the existing built environment around us. Cities such as Washington D.C., and Seattle have such dedicated sources run by committed bloggers. With that in mind, I started this blog despite the fact that I have no professional background in urban planning. I was just a citizen who observed the changes taking place around town. With that, it was to my recent delight that I discovered this newish blog called The Arctic Urbanophile. Though posts on that site go back only to January (when it launched), I found myself spending something like 2 hours in one sitting checking out all these great posts made in the last four months. I later had to come back to read the rest I did not get to during that first visit. Unlike mine, Eric's posts are well written, in-depth with more information than I myself could ever extract, and most of all, articulate. This is the blog we Anchoragites have been waiting for.


As for this blog, I don't know what its future holds. I felt guilty as I watched the new Alaska Airlines Center and the Turnagain Crossing mixed-use site go up while my blog went on without recording it. I did not forget you, dear Joop blog. Sometimes I think about retooling this site into being a even more casual blog in which I just post pictures I took with my phone of what I like and don't like in Anchorage. It especially seems more appropriate now that a site like Arctic Urbanophile exists to take care of the more in-depth coverage. But I'm not sure that will work out for me. I expect to move out of Alaska soon anyways. We'll see...

6 comments:

evo said...

I'm really glad you enjoy the blog. I had been following yours over the years and it was the inspiration that encouraged me to start mine, so your praise really means a lot. After you stopped posting regulatory I felt an obligation to take up the urban planning cause in town. If you're ever interested in being a guest commentator please feel free. -Eric

Keegan Lucas said...

Just wanted to say your attention to urban Alaska was and is appreciated! I'm excited to learn of this other blog, but multiple opinions and viewpoints are valuable as well.

marcus said...

Thanks for the kind words guys! And nice to hear from you Eric! I'm honored to have been an inspiration for a blog such as yours. And thanks for the guest-post offer too! If I have anything particularly worthwhile to say and crave a big audience for it, I may just do that haha!

Keegan Lucas, I think you bring up a good point about multiple viewpoints. Not in a long time have I felt so pumped up to get back on the saddle and write on. Though my time in Alaska may be numbered, I very likely will make a few posts.

BigNate said...

Do you have any updates on the Turnagain mixed site?

marcus said...

^well the project is completed now, but I may walk around the neighborhood to check out how the limited parking is impacting the area and what it could mean for future site exemptions.

Dj Tyson said...

Great to see you back. I had given up hope. On a whim I decided to check it again, and to my delight there were new posts! Welcome back.